Skip to main content

Christian Cosmo


When I first began thinking about writing a weekly blog (please ignore the lack of update last Saturday. Dang those resolutions), I surfed across a website called Phylicia Delta. I have NO idea what I was looking for or why but I read the article that I read and went “huh, this girl loves Jesus and theology and is pretty much solid” and subscribed and have been meaning to go back and troll the archives but, well, sickness, time, ADD, squirrel, work, sleeping, you know…. stuff… trounced upon my good intentions and I forgot.

So fast forward to like yesterday or Tuesday, or something, and I get an email from Phylicia about Christian Cosmo.

Thought #1: Man. Maybe this is a drink recipe that’s different from other Pom Cosmos

Thought #2: What makes a Christian Cosmo drink “Christian?”

Thought #3: Hahahaha, I’m so funny

Thought #4: And mature

After gleefully snickering to myself for a goodly amount of time, I proceeded to read the (very obvious, okay, Whimsy) sub-heading: The Sex Talk You Never Had.

Confession 1: Until later, I was totally ignorant that the “Cosmo” referred to the magazine “Cosmopolitan.”

My curiosity was piqued.

I’m a single, twenty-something (six, okay) year old female. I grew up in a super tight-knit family, was homeschooled until college, grew up in the church and began to follow Christ at a very early age. I was totes steeped in church culture.

From my earliest rememberings, my spiritual constitution had a distinctly legalistic leaning; although I was definitely the turbulent child of the family, internally I created for myself a nice system of checks and balances for outward and inward behavior (disclaimer: mother might argue against my assertion of outward conformity and obedience. heh).

Fast forward to middle school and high school and I was the grandest pharisee of them all. Parable of the Prodigal Son? I was the older brother. So when I was confronted with sexuality, maaaaan, it was so gross and disgusting. And kind of awkward, you know? And embarrassing. And, yeah, let’s not talk about it.

(Proceeds to be emotionally infatuated with anime guys, because reasons and totally legit, right? And besides, he’s pretty; brooding selfishness notwithstanding)

                                     
                                                 http://www.socwall.com/images/wallpapers/19104-1920x1358.jpg
                                                       Bless his poor, tragic heart, if he has one. 

Currently, I’m definitely older and maybe more comfortable in this concept of sexuality. By the Lord’s grace and through the wise mentoring of older women, I have grown to recognize those places in my life where I have absolutely believed lies regarding biblical sexuality; I have (somewhat) matured in recognizing the beautiful gift it is and its place in the Christian’s life, regardless of celibacy, marriage, or widowhood, among others.  My great desire is to continue to grow in the knowledge and experience of the Gospel, that it may continue to reform and conform every area of my life to the person and work of Christ, because He has set His children free so that we may be free, that we may live free. Lies of any sort—whether brought about by religion, ourselves, the culture, the devil—weigh down the light heart. Instead of looking to the heavens, we begin looking to the earth; we trade wisdom from above for wisdom of dust.

Nowadays, I find myself in the curious position of serving as a leader in our church’s high school group (What even!).

Youth group is a difficult and often under-appreciated and misapplied form of church ministry, I have found. Both from my own experience as a youth grouper in past churches and from observing other groups, it can often devolve into a zany club that may or may not feature the Bible (or Jesus) but provides a safe space for games, friend time and… questionable activities like goldfish swallowing (why… Just. why…..).

This should not be so. We can not, should not, be a place of entertainment but of hope, the true hope of the Gospel that can redeem and save, and make free the burdened and weary heart! These girls and their souls are so precious to me. And like it or not, we live in our culture. Which is secular, if you haven’t noticed. Hope, or a bastardized form of it, is rampant, as are lies.  Unfortunately, these lies inform the hopes, and these hopes often lead to disillusionment, confusion, anger, a sense of loss, feelings of abandonment and of being forgotten, insecurity, capitulation, hardening of tender hearts and consciences, and the list goes on and on.  In our culture, sexuality is the meaning of life, our own Aphrodite. At least, she’s one of the meanings, because there are too many to name and too many please.

While my church firmly espouses parents to be the primary disciplers of their own children, we also absolutely believe that the greatest single thing these kids (and us adults. and everyone!) need is the Gospel. We believe that the Gospel permeates every aspect of life; mind, body, soul. This includes sexuality, too. I so wish in my younger years that I had been given more mentorship in this area!

As I have read, mused, and prayed over this book, I am so excited to grow in my own God-given sexuality and be more equipped to walk alongside and disciple the young ladies whom I am privileged to call my sisters in the fellowship.

Christian Cosmo: The Sex Talk You Never Had by the dear, the beautiful Phylicia D. Masonheimer will be released on March 1, 2017!!! So basically coming super soon, so be excited.
                                                        
                                                                   http://phyliciadelta.com/christiancosmo/
                                                                In which the cover of this is so freakin' brilliant

Disclaimer 1: please note that when I’m conversing about sexuality with my highschool gals that the parents are absolutely privy to these conversations and encouraged and/or harassed to participate in them (the harassment part was a joke, okay). Safety of our young ones is a priority that we do not take lightly and we absolutely respect the parents of our kiddos to know whether their child is mature enough to think through and/or interact with such a topic in a group setting.

Disclaimer 2: putting down a  disclaimer is so freeing and dang will I be using this in the future.


  Also, Voltron.
http://cdn2us.denofgeek.com/sites/denofgeekus/files/styles/insert_main_wide_image/public/2016/05/voltron-legendary-defender-cast.jpg?itok=5reQYD2q
 Best. Pic. Ever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bone Appetit

I am, have always been, a haphazard person. For better or worse. I chronically neglect to read recipes in their entirety before thinking “Hey! That looks good!” and proceed with cooking until I reach that one….  Necessary… Ingredient… That I don’t…. Have…. Or, when I am desperate to try something but in order to make that something I need to make something else to go along with it and instead of it only taking like an hour it takes 3 but it was worth it in the end because I finally scratched that obsessive brain itch. Or how about this:  I’m in the middle of preparing a recipe and have a sudden curiosity of Why did they choose to do it this way? Does everyone do it this way? Well, yes it seems that they do, but why? They sort of give answers but not really, so is it important? And then there I go, chasing the white rabbit down that internet hole and mucking around for answers until I get irritated and give up. 
Well, thank goodness for my smart, go-to people who are cooks and c

The ACV Effect

Ah, Apple Cider Vinegar. Where should I begin? You’re the cure-all (like bone broth).  Perhaps you don’t taste quite as good, but that’s probably ‘cos you're just misunderstood and people don't understand that it takes a refined palate to ingest and enjoy your go-go juice. You’ve been heralded as one who helps prevent diabetes and insulin resistance, promotes weight loss , whisks away acid reflux and heartburn , melts away warts . Among other things. Many, many other things (natural deodorant anyone? Anyone…? Well…). But dang, sister, those are some braggadocios claims, there. You’re brand isn’t pulling any punches either (Bragg. The spelling doesn’t fool anyone). But do you actually do what people claim you do? ~oOo~ I first heard about the wonders of Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) a year or so ago from my dear Older Sister (https://christinelife.wordpress.com). Warts, unsightly, disgusting, horrible, nasty little body invaders, have been a battle for me sinc